Chomolhari Trek - 12 days/11 nights
Paro - Jangothang - Lingshi - Thimpu - Paro
The Chomolhari trek is one of the most beautiful treks in the Himalaya. Traverse through beautiful villages, scattered hamlets and farmland. Trout fishing in the sky blue lake is an option during a rest day. You may also encounter rare animals such as the blue sheep and the snow leopard.
Not a group trek! This is a privately-guided trek featuring expert local guides. It can be scheduled for your departure dates. Best months for this trek are April and May in the spring season and September and October in the fall season.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Taktsang Monastery (Tiger's Nest)
- Trekking through diverse landscape from alpine forests to rural villages
- Rural yak-herding villages
- Stunning views from Nyelela Pass
- Sightseeing in Thimpu
Day 1: Paro (7,780 ft.)
Upon arrival you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel. As time allows, visit some of the sights in the small town of Paro. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 2: Paro (7,780 ft.)
In the morning, take a day hike to Tigers Nest (Taktsang) Monastery. The hike is uphill for about 2-3 hours and takes you to the most spectacular place in all of Bhutan - the monastery built into the sides of a cliff. After exploring the monastery, return to your hotel. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 3: Paro to Shana (9,200 ft.)
Set out in the morning by car to Drugyel Dzong where your trek begins. The path goes upstream of the Pachu River winding through villages and gradually ascending to Shana camp. Walking time is about 5-6 hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 4: Shana to Soi Thangthangkha (12,500 ft.)
Follow the trail along the Pachu River, ascending through pine, oak, and spruce forests. Walking time 7-8 hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 5: Soi Thangthangkha to Jangothang (13,300 ft.)
In the morning begin a slow climb following the river. Stop for a hot lunch inside a Yak herder's camp. After lunch take an easy walk to Jangothang. Enjoy the superb views of Chomolhari (7320 meters) and Jichu Drake (6900 meters) from camp. Walking time is 4-5 hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 6: Jangothang (13,300 ft.)
Take a day to rest and explore the surrounding areas. Walk to Tshophu Lake, visit with Yak herders or simply relax. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 7: Jangothang to Lingshi (13,500 ft.) crossing Nyelela pass (15,500 ft.)
In the morning climb up the ridge and enjoy stunning views of Chomolhari, Jichu Drake and the Tshrim Khang mountains. Hike to Nyele la pass and from there begin a gradual descent. Nearing the camp you will see the Lingshi Dzong perched ontop a hill with beautiful views of the valley. Walking time is about 6-7 hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 8: Lingshi to Shodu (12,300 ft.) crossing Yalela (16,300 ft.)
Today is the most difficult day of trekking. Begin a steep hike to Yale la pass the highest point of the trip. Take a rest before beginning a long descent into camp. Walking time is 7-8 hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 9: Shodu to Barshong (11,500 ft.).
Follow the path along the Thimchu River descending through rhododendron, Juniper, and pine forests. The trail gradually ascends after 3-4 hours to the ruins of Barshong Dzong. Walking time is 5-6 hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 10 : Barshong to Thimpu (7,700 ft.) - Trek ends at Dodina.
The path descends for a while joining the Thimchu river and gradually ascending and descending through thick bamboo and pine forests. End your trek in Dodina where a vehicle will be waiting for your return. Walking time is 7-8 hours. Drive 1.5 hours to Thimpu. Overnight in Thimpu. (All meals)
Day 11 : Thimpu to Paro (7,780 ft.)
In the morning explore the Thimpu market and then drive 2 hours to Paro. Upon arrival enjoy a sightseeing tour of Paro before returning to your hotel. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 12 : Departure
Transfer to airport for departure. (Breakfast)
Per Person Rate (based on double occupancy):
Flights to/from Bhutan on Druk Air via Bangkok, Singapore, New Delhi, Kathmandu, Bagdogra, Dhaka, or Calcutta.
- All airport / hotel transfers by private car
- Hotel accommodations in standard hotels or tented camps where indicated based on double-occupancy basis
- All trekking arrangements as indicated in the program
- All meals in Bhutan
- Privately-guided sightseeing in Bhutan as indicated in the program
- Visa fee
- Tourism development fee
Rate Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Supplements for stays at upgraded hotels such as the Uma Paro, Uma Punakha, Taj Tashi, Haven Resort or Zhiwaling
- Lunch or dinners at upgraded hotels. These meals will be provided at local restaurants or are available at these hotels for additional cost
- Travel insurance
- Tips for guides, porters and drivers
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Bhutan, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.