Gangtey Trek - 8 days/7 nights
Paro - Thimpu - Wangdue - Gogona - Wangdue - Paro
Experience both the natural wonders of Bhutan as well as its rich culture on this 8 day tour. Visit the major historical sites of Thimpu, Paro and Punakha and enjoy a low altitude two-day trek to the villages of Gogona and Khotokha, passing through meadows, fields, forests of Juniper, magnolia and rhododendrons.
Not a group trek! This is a privately-guided trek featuring expert local guides. It can be scheduled for your departure dates. Best months for this trek are April and May in the spring season and September and October in the fall season.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Rare Black Neck Cranes in the Gangtey Gompa valley
- Taktsand Monastery (Tiger’s Nest)
- Paro's colorful markets
- Trekking through Bhutan's beautiful landscape
Day 1: Paro (7,780 ft.)
Upon arrival at the airport, you will be welcomed by our representative and transferred to your hotel. After settling in, visit Drukgyal Dzong, a defense fortress built in 1647. If time permits, visit Kichu Lhakhang, one of the oldest temples in Bhutan. Enjoy an evening stroll around Paro’s colorful market. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 2: Paro to Thimphu (7,700 ft.)
After breakfast visit the famous cliff side Taktsang Monastery, also known as the Tiger's Nest. It's a 2 to 3-hour hike to this incredible monastery built in the midst of a sheer 3,000-foot cliff. In the late afternoon, take a two hour drive to Thimphu. Overnight in Thimphu. (All meals)
Day 3: Thimphu to Punakha (4,300 ft.)
After breakfast, relax on a three hour drive to Punakha. Upon arrival, tour Punakha Dzong, the iconic temple built on the fork of a river. Overnight in Punakha. (All meals)
Day 4: Punakha to Gogona (10,500 ft.)
Wake early to drive to the Gangtey Gompa valley. This beautiful valley is home to the rare Black Necked Cranes migrating from the Tibetan plateau to escape the harsh winter. Meet your trekking staff and begin a moderate hike to Gogona, winding through beautiful meadows and fields and ascending to Tselela pass. Walking time will last about five to six hours. Overnight in camp. (All meals)
Day 5: Gogona to Khotokha (10,200 ft.)
After breakfast, enjoy a mild climb leading to Shobjula pass. Descend gradually to camp Walking time is about 5-6 hours. Overnight Camp. (All meals)
Day 6: Khotokha to Wangdue (4,300 ft.)
After breakfast, follow the trail as it ascends to Tashila. Walk down through ever changing vegetation into the drainage of the Dangchu River. Walking time is about 6-7 hours. Overnight in Wangdue. (All meals)
Day 7: Wangdue to Paro (7,780 ft.)
After breakfast drive to Paro, stopping in Thimphu for lunch and sightseeing. Continue on in the afternoon to Paro. Your evening is free to relax and explore Paro on your own. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 8: Departure
Transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Per Person Rate (based on double occupancy):
From: $2,480 per person
Flights to/from Bhutan on Druk Air via Bangkok, Singapore, New Delhi, Kathmandu, Bagdogra, Dhaka, or Calcutta.
- All airport/hotels transfers by private car
- Hotel accommodation in standard hotels or tented camps where indicated based on double-occupancy basis
- All trekking arrangements as per the itinerary
- All meals in Bhutan
- Privately-guided sightseeing in Bhutan as indicated in the itinerary
- Visa fee
- Tourism development fee
Rate Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Supplements for stays at upgraded hotels such as the Uma Paro, Uma Punakha, Taj Tashi, Haven Resort or Zhiwaling
- Lunch or dinners at upgraded hotels. These meals will be provided at local restaurants or are available at these hotels for additional cost
- Travel insurance
- Tips for guides, porters and drivers
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Bhutan, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.