Highlights of Bhutan - 7 days/6 nights
Paro - Thimphu - Punakha - Paro
Pack in the highlights of Thimphu, Punakha, and Paro in this short tour perfect for travelers already visiting Thailand or Nepal, but wanting a glimpse of Bhutan.
Privately-Guided! Whether you are a single person, a couple, or a group, you'll have your own guide and driver for all airport pickups, dropoffs, and daily excursions.
Choose Your Own Dates! This is not a fixed departure date tour. Just let us know the dates that work best for you and we will arrange everything.
Customizable! Need more time? Less time? Want to see or do something that isn't included? Just let us know, and we will arrange it for you and let you know the change in costs.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Taktsang Monastery
- Thimphu, the world’s only capital city without a traffic light
- The Himalayan Range from Dochula pass
Day 1: Paro to Thimphu (7,700 ft.)
Upon arrival at the airport, you will be welcomed by our representative and drive an hour to your hotel in Thimphu. After settling in, you will visit the major historical sights of Thimphu. Visit the National Memorial Chorten, built in honor of late King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk, the Folk Heritage Museum and the Takin Preserve where you can see a Takin, Bhutan’s national animal and a rare member of the goat family that can only be found in Bhutan. Overnight in Thimphu. (Lunch, Dinner)
Day 2: Thimphu (4,300ft.)
After breakfast, you can stop by a swanky local café if you’re up for some good western style coffee. Drive up to Buddha Point and offer your prayers to the largest Buddha statue in the country while enjoying great views of Thimphu valley below. Continue to the Changangkha monastery and the new Drupthob nunnery temple. Stop by the craft bazaar where artisans and craftsmen come across the country to sell their products. Have some time to explore the streets of Thimphu before dinner time. Overnight in Thimphu. (All Meals)
Day 3: Thimphu to Punakha (4,300ft.)
This morning, drive eastwards for about 3 hours towards Punakha valley, crossing over the Dochula Pass (10,200ft.). If the skies are clear, you will have a glimpse of the eastern Himalayan range including the highest mountain in Bhutan, Mt. Gangar Punsum (24,670ft). Arriving in Punakha valley, you will stop at Lobesa for a short walk through farm houses and fields to Chimme Lhakhang, a monastery built in 1499 in honor of Tibetan Lama Drukpa Kuenley, popularly known as the "Divine Madman". This temple is also known as fertility temple as it’s very popular for couples praying for children. After, continue on to your hotel. Overnight in Punakha. (All meals)
Day 4: Punakha (4,300ft.)
After breakfast, take an easy 2 hour hike to a beautiful lake. In the afternoon, visit the Punakha Dzong which was the administrative center and seat of the Government of Bhutan till 1955. Situated on the confluence of the Mother (Mo) and Father (Pho) rivers, this beautiful dzong was built in 1637 and is the second largest one in Bhutan. Overnight in Punakha. (All meals)
Day 5: Punakha to Paro (7,780ft.)
Today, you will drive 4 hours over the Dochula Pass to Paro. In the afternoon, visit Kichu Lhakhang, one of the oldest temples in Bhutan. Later, do a short hike of 15minutes up to Drukgyal Dzong, a defense fortress built in 1647 and now in ruins. If the weather is good, you can catch a glimpse of the snow-covered Mt. Chomolhari, a 23,000ft. peak. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 6: Paro (7,780ft.)
After breakfast take a 2 to 3 hour hike to the famous Tigers Nest (Taktsang) Monastery, an incredible monastery built on the side of a 3,000 foot cliff. The trail goes through blue pines and switchbacks uphill to the ridge. First built in 1692, around the Taktsang Senge Samdup, a cave where Guru Padmasambhava is said to have meditated for 3 months in the 8th century. Afternoon, visit the Paro Dzong and stroll around the streets of Paro town. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 7: Depart Paro
Transfer to the airport for your onward flight. (Breakfast)
Per Person Rate (based on double occupancy):
From: $2,140 per person
Flights to/from Bhutan on Druk Air via Bangkok, Singapore, New Delhi, Kathmandu, Bagdogra, Dhaka, or Calcutta.
- All airport transfers
- Hotel accommodation in standard hotels based on double-occupancy basis
- All meals in Bhutan
- Privately-guided sightseeing in Bhutan as per program
- Visa fee
- Tourism development fee
Rate Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Supplements for stays at upgraded hotels such as the Uma Paro, Uma Punakha, Taj Tashi, Haven Resort, or Zhiwaling
- Lunches or dinners at upgraded hotels. These meals will be provided at local restaurants or are available at these hotels for additional cost
- Travel insurance
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Bhutan, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.