Paro to Thimhpu Trek - 10 days/9 nights
Paro - Thimphu - Punakha - Paro
This short-trek follows the ancient route connecting Paro and Thimphu. The trek begins at Drukgyal Dzong in Paro and ends at Phajoding near Thimphu. Rated as moderate, this trek involves crossing several passes over 13,000 ft with the highest camp at 12,500 ft. The landscape includes terraced fields, mixed forests, and alpine pastures. On this trip, you will visit all major historical sites in Thimphu, Punakha and Paro.
Not a group trek! This is a privately-guided trek featuring expert local guides. It can be scheduled for your departure dates. Best months for this trek are April and May in the spring season and September and October in the fall season.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Takstang Monastery (Tiger’s Nest)
- Drukgyal Dzong
- Trekking through Bhutan's diverse landscape including thick alpine forests and rural villages
Day 1: Paro (7,300 ft.)
Upon arrival at the airport, you will be welcomed by our representative and transferred to your hotel. After settling in, visit Drukgyal Dzong, a defense fortress built in 1647. If time permits, visit Kichu Lhakhang, one of the oldest temples in Bhutan. Enjoy an evening stroll around Paro town. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 2: Paro (7,300 ft.)
After breakfast visit the famous cliff side Taktsang Monastery, also known as the Tiger's Nest. It's a 2 to 3 hour hike to this incredible monastery built in the midst of a sheer 3,000-foot cliff. In the afternoon visit a local farmhouse and enjoy a traditional hot stone bath. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 3: Paro to Jele Dzong (11,000 ft.)
After breakfast, begin in Paro and start your trek to Jele Dzong. Enjoy a gentle walk for 1 hour followed by a steep climb up to camp. Overnight in Camp. (All meals)
Day 4: Jele Dzong to Jangchulakha (12,150 ft.)
After breakfast, trek through thick alpine forests crossing Jele La at 11,500 feet. Overnight in Camp. (All meals)
Day 5: Jangchulakha to JimiLangsto (12,500 ft.)
Trek over Jangchu La at 13,710 feet. Overnight in Camp. (All meals)
Day 6: JimiLangsto to Phajoding (12,500 ft.)
Trek over Phume La at 13,800 feet. Overnight in Camp. (All meals)
Day 7: Phajoding to Thimphu (7,700 ft.)
After breakfast, begin your descent to the road head where you will be met by vehicles and driven to Thimphu. Enjoy afternoon sightseeing in Thimphu including the Memorial chorten, Changangkha monastery, Motithang mini zoo to see the rare "Takin" and a short drive for views of the Thimphu valley. Visit the new Drupthob nunnery temple and a market in the late afternoon. Overnight in Thimphu. (All meals)
Day 8: Thimphu to Punakha (7,700 ft.)
This morning, drive eastwards for about 3 hours towards Punakha valley, crossing over the Dochula Pass (10,200ft.). If the skies are clear, you will have a glimpse of the eastern Himalayan range including the highest mountain in Bhutan, Mt. Gangar Punsum (24,670ft). Arriving in Punakha valley, you will stop at Lobesa for a short walk through farm houses and fields to Chimme Lhakhang, a monastery built in 1499 in honor of Tibetan Lama Drukpa Kuenley, popularly known as the "Divine Madman". This temple is also known as fertility temple as it’s very popular for couples praying for children. After, continue on to your hotel. Overnight in Punakha. (All meals)
Day 9: Punakha to Paro (7,300 ft.)
In the morning, visit the Punakha Dzong which was the administrative center and seat of the Government of Bhutan till 1955. Situated on the confluence of the Mother (Mo) and Father (Pho) rivers, this beautiful dzong was built in 1637 and is the second largest one in Bhutan. Then drive about 4 hours back to Paro. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 10: Departure
Transfer to the airport for your flight home. (Breakfast)
Per Person Rate (based on double occupancy):
Flights to/from Bhutan on Druk Air via Bangkok, Singapore, New Delhi, Kathmandu, Bagdogra, Dhaka, or Calcutta.
- All airport / hotel transfers by private car
- Hotel accommodation in standard hotels or tented camps where indicated based on double-occupancy basis
- All trekking arrangements as indicated in the program
- All meals in Bhutan
- Privately-guided sightseeing in Bhutan as indicated in the itinerary
- Visa fee
- Tourism development fee
Rate Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Supplements for stays at upgraded hotels such as the Uma Paro, Uma Punakha, Taj Tashi, Haven Resort or Zhiwaling
- Lunch or dinners at upgraded hotels. These meals will be provided at local restaurants or are available at these hotels for additional cost
- Travel insurance
- Tips for guides, porters and drivers
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Bhutan, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.