Footprints on Roof of the World – 9 Days, 8 Nights
Tsedang - Lhasa - Shigatse - Gyangtse
Locked in its mountain fortress of the Himalaya, Tibet has long exercised a unique hold on the imagination of those both at home and abroad. It was not until recently that few outsiders had laid their eyes on the holy city of Lhasa and the other secrets of Tibet. With the Qinghai-Tibet Railway open last year, come quickly before it develops and changes too much. Taking the weather condition into consideration, this itinerary concentrates on the best months of April to October.
Privately-Guided! Whether you are a single person, a couple, or a group, you'll have your own guide and driver for all airport pickups, dropoffs, and daily excursions.
Choose Your Own Dates! This is not a fixed-departure-date tour. Just let us know the dates that work best for you and we will arrange everything.
Customizable! Need more time? Less time? Want to see or do something that isn't included? Just let us know, and we will arrange it for you and let you know the change in costs.
What Our Clients Say - Our clients can't wait to tell us how their trips went: Client Feedback
- Potala Palace and Barkhor street in Lhasa
- Samye Monastery, Tibet's first monastery
- A visit to a Tibetan hospital to learn about traditional medicine
- Tashilunpo Monastery, the official seat of the Panchen Lama
Day 1: Arrive Tsedang
Arrive in Gonggar Airport and drive 1.5 hours to Tsedang, the cradle of Tibetan civilization. The rest of your day is free for rest and acclimatization. Overnight in Tsedang.
Day 2: Tsedang
After breakfast, begin a full day tour stopping first at Trandruk Temple, one of the first Buddhist Temples built in Tibet. In the afternoon visit the Yumbulakhang Palace – the first palace of Tibet. This castle-like building rises on the spur of a hill, commanding an impressive view of the Yarlung Tsangpo Valley. Overnight in Tsedang. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 3: Tsedang to Lhasa
After breakfast, drive 5 hours to Lhasa stopping to visit Samye Monastery. Located about 40km to the west of Tsedang across the Yarlung Tsangpo River, it is the very first monastery of Tibet. In the afternoon enjoy a ferry ride across the Yarlung Tsangpo River. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 4: Lhasa
Begin your tour of this “Sacred Place of Buddha” with the golden-roofed Jokhang Monastery – a curious mix of somber darkness, wafting incense and prostrating pilgrims. Visit the Barkhor Street, an astonishing Tibetan style stock exchange and hive of market activity. After lunch visit the Potala Palace, once the center of the Tibetan government and winter residence of the Dalai Lama as well as the most imposing attraction of Lhasa. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 5: Lhasa
In the morning, visit Norbulingka, the former summer palace of the Dalai Lama. After lunch wander through Drepung Monastery - the largest in the world, and learn about traditional Tibetan medicine at the Tibetan hospital. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 6: Lhasa to Shigatse
After breakfast, depart on a 6 hour drive to Shigatse. The road will be bumpy, but the view of Yamdrok Lake will be rewarding. Overnight in Shigatse. (All meals)
Day 7: Shigatse to Gyangtse
Visit the Tashilunpo Monastery – the official seat of Panchen Lama, second in importance to the Dalai Lama. In the afternoon drive 2.5 hours to Gyangtse. Overnight in Gyangtse. (All meals)
Day 8: Gyangtse to Lhasa
Visit the Phalkor Monastery that is notable for its superb Kumbum stupa. Drive 6 hours back to Lhasa in the afternoon. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 9: Departure
You will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight. (Breakfast)
Per Person Rates
Contact Us for advice on hotels and a quote based on your choice.
- All airport transfers to and from hotels with a private vehicle
- Tours and excursions as outlined in the itinerary including entrance fees
- Surface transportation as per the itinerary by a private, chauffeured, air-conditioned car
- Hotel accommodation on twin sharing bed & breakfast basis inclusive of all taxes and service charges
- Meals as described in the itinerary. Daily Western buffet breakfast at hotel. Chinese lunch/dinner en route at local restaurant unless specified.
- Services of a local, English speaking guide for all visits and excursions
- Special entry pass to visit Tibet
Rates Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Visa fees
- Airport departure taxes
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.