Treasures of Mongolia - 12 days/11 nights
Ulaan Baatar - Gobi Desert - Lake Huvsgul – Terelj National Park
See the highlights of Mongolia including the Gobi Desert, Lake Huvsgul, and Terelj National Park. Incredible sand dunes, fossil hunting, reindeer people, beautiful mountain lakes, rafting and horseback riding are all elements in this tour.
Privately-Guided! Whether you are a single person, a couple, or a group, you'll have your own guide and driver for all airport pickups, dropoffs, and daily excursions.
Choose Your Own dates! This is not a fixed-departure-date tour. Just let us know the dates that work best for you and we will arrange everything.
Customizable! Need more time? Less time? Want to see or do something that isn't included? Just let us know, and we will arrange it for you and let you know the change in costs.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Two nights at the Three Camel’s Lodge
- Fossil Hunting in the Bayanzag Flaming Cliffs
- The Gobi Desert
- Mongolia's nomadic reindeer people
- Horseback Riding
- Raft trip down the Tuul River
Day 1: Ulaanbaatar
Arrive in Ulaanbaatar and transfer to your hotel. Enjoy a city tour including a visit to the National History Museum and take an excursion to the Zaisan Hill War Memorial to get your bearings with a panoramic view of the whole city. In the evening enjoy a music and folk dance performance. Overnight in Ulaanbaatar.
Day 2: Ulaan Baatar to the Gobi Desert
In the morning, fly to the South Gobi desert. Visit the stunning Yol Valley (Lammergeir Valley) National Park for hiking and opportunities to photograph the gorge, the Gobi Glacier and the diverse local wildlife. Overnight in Three Camel Lodge.
Day 3: Gobi Desert: Hongoriin Els (200 km)
Drive to Hongoriin Els Sand Dunes, also known as the Singing Sands for the noise the sand makes in high winds. Spend the day exploring the dunes and enjoy a camel riding expedition. Overnight in camp.
Day 4: Gobi Desert, Bayanzag Flaming Cliffs
In the morning drive back to Three Camel Lodge. After lunch at the camp, continue your journey to the archeological gem Bayanzag flaming cliffs. In Bayan Zag, explore the Cemetery of Dinosaurs where the world’s best preserved skeletons of giant dinosaurs and their petrified eggs were excavated. Overnight in camp.
Day 5: Gobi Desert to Ulaan Baatar
After breakfast at the camp transfer to the local airport for return flight to Ulaanbaatar. Have lunch in one of the surprisingly varied restaurants of the city. In the afternoon, visit the Natural History Museum of Mongolia, which holds the largest collection of dinosaur findings from Mongolia. Overnight in the hotel.
Day 6: Ulaan Baatar to Huvsgul Lake
Fly to the stunning Huvsgul Nuur Lake and National Park surrounded by mountain peaks and evergreen forest. After lunch, search for swan, osprey, snipe, thrush and various other birds on a walk along the shore. Overnight in camp.
Day 7: Huvsgul Lake
Meet with nomads in a traditional ger to learn about their unique lifestyle and visit the home of a local shaman. Take an optional horse-back ride around the lake and return home for a fresh fish dinner at the ger camp. Overnight in camp.
Day 8: Huvsgul Lake to Ulaanbaatar
Fly back to Ulaanbaatar. After check in at the hotel and lunch, visit Zanabazar Museum of Fine Arts to view the best collection of medieval Buddhist art works of Mongolia including famous gilded cast Tara sculptures by Zanabazar, the first Mongolian Buddhist ruler and outstanding artist. Overnight in Ulaanbaatar.
Day 9: Terelj National Park
This morning transfer to Terelj National Park, a stunningly picturesque valley in the vicinity of Ulaanbaatar. After 1.5 hours drive you arrive at Terelj Lodge. After settling in gers and having lunch, explore a traditionally furnished ger “museum,” try some of the local mare’s milk or yak cheese, and enjoy a demonstration and training class for the traditional Mongolian sport of archery. Overnight in camp.
Day 10: Terelj National Park
After breakfast, take an hour long horse ride excursion to the Tuul River. At the river, climb aboard rafts and enjoy a 3 hour mellow journey downstream, enjoying vistas of lush meadows and grazing lands. Stop and enjoy a picnic lunch half way into your excursion. After rafting, transfer back to the camp. Overnight in camp.
Day 11: Ulaanbaatar
After breakfast at the camp. Transfer to Ulaanbaatar. In the afternoon enjoy free time to explore the city and shop in Mongolia’s famous cashmere shops. Overnight in Ulaanbaatar.
Day 12: Departure
Transfer to the Chinggis Khaan International airport for departure.
Per Person Rates (based on double occupancy) start from:
Contact Us for advice on hotels and a quote based on your choice.
- 4 nights stay in a 4 star hotel in Ulaanbaatar
- Daily meals in choice fine restaurants in Ulaanbaatar
- 3 nights trip to South Gobi with excursion to Hongoriin Els with 2 nights in Three camel lodge
- 2 night tour to Huvsgul Lake including all visits
- 2 night stay in gers at Terelj National Park, rafting and horse riding, archery trials
- All sightseeing in Gobi, Huvsgul, Ulaanbaatar and Terelj as per itinerary
- Entrance fees including museums and national parks
- Dedicated English-speaking local guide for the entire trip
- Private transport as per itinerary
- Domestic flights UB-Gobi-UB, UB-Murun-UB
Rates Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Visa fees
- Airport departure taxes
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Bhutan, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.