Annapurna Sanctuary Trek - 15 days/14 nights
Kathmandu - Pokhara - Machapuchare Base Camp - Annapurna Base Camp - Pokhara - Kathmandu
The Annapurna Sanctuary is a glacier covered amphitheater that is ringed by peaks in the Annapurna range. This short trek provides daily mountain views and rich cultural experiences in Garung villages along the way. Begin and end your 11 day adventure amongst the world’s tallest peaks with sightseeing in Kathmandu.
Benefits of a Red Lantern Journeys Trek
This is a tea-house trek. All accommodation during the trek is in private rooms in family-run tea houses helping support the local economy. Our trips also include privately-guided tours in the Kathmandu valley.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Tour Kathmandu Valley including Monkey Temple and Patan Durbar Square
- Awe-Inspiring views of the major peaks in the Annapurna Sanctuary
- A variety of trekking landscape from terraced farmland to bamboo forests
Day 1: Kathmandu (4,400 ft)
Arrive at the Kathmandu airport where you will be welcomed by our representative and transferred to your hotel. In the evening enjoy a welcome dinner in Thamel. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Dinner)
Day 2: Kathmandu (4,400 ft)
After breakfast, enjoy a full day of sightseeing. In the morning visit Swayambhunath, the monkey temple, overlooking Kathmandu city then continue onwards to Kathmandu Durbar square with its maze of temples and palace complex. After lunch, visit the well-maintained Patan Museum, which is home to ancient Nepali artifacts, followed by a tour of Patan Durbar (palace) Square. Time-permitting, at the end of the day, visit the Tibetan Refugee Center. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 3: Kathmandu to Pokhara to Syauli (4,000 ft)
Take a morning flight to Pokhara. Upon arrival, drive via private bus about one hour to the starting point of the trek at Naya Pul. The first day’s walk is mild, following the sub-tropical Modi Khola river valley to Birethanti. Trek through terraced rice paddies to Syauli. Total trekking time is about 1.5 hours. Overnight in Syauli. (All meals)
Day 4: Syauli to Ghandruk (6,400 ft)
After breakfast, begin a steady ascent up the “Gurung staircases.” Trek through fields of wheat and millet to the largest village of the region, Ghandruk. Total trekking time is about 5 hours. Overnight in Ghandruk. (All meals)
Day 5: Ghandruk to Chomrong (6,850 ft)
Trek through terraced fields to Kimrong Danda (2250m). Descend steeply through forest to the Kimrong Khola. After lunch begin another ascent to reach the tea-houses of Chomrong. Total trekking time is about 5 hours. Overnight in Chomrong. (All meals)
Day 6: Chomrong to Himalaya Hotel (9,400 ft)
In the morning leave behind permanent settlements and follow the Modi Khola valley towards the Annapurna Sanctuary. Hike through rhododendron and oak forest and continue your gradual ascent through thick forest to Himalaya. Total trekking time is about 5-6 hours. Overnight in Himalaya. (All meals)
Day 7: Himalaya Hotel to Machhapuchhare Base Camp (12,200 ft)
Today your trek will reach above tree line with the trail becoming less steep as you enter the Annapurna Sanctuary. The afternoon is free to rest and enjoy the spectacular scenery of the surrounding peaks. Overnight in Machhapuchhare Base Camp. (All meals)
Day 8: Machhapuchhare Base Camp to Annapurna Base Camp (13,400 ft)
After breakfast ascend to Annapurna Base Camp. Total trekking time is about 3 hours. Overnight in Annapurna Base Camp. (All meals)
Day 9: Annapurna Base Camp to Bamboo Lodge (7,900 ft)
Today is all downhill. After lunch you’ll re-enter the bamboo forest and reach your lodge by mid-afternoon. Overnight in Bamboo Lodge. Total trekking time is about 5-6 hours. (All meals)
Day 10: Bamboo Lodge to Chomrong (6,850 ft)
Descend through the forest and enjoy lunch at Sinuwa before arriving back at Chomrong in the afternoon. Overnight in Chomrong. (All meals)
Day 11: Chomrong to Landrung (5,300 ft)
From Chomrong, retrace your steps as far as Taulung. If time permits stop at Jhinu Danda to enjoy a soak in the hot springs. In the afternoon, ascend through thick forest and terraced fields to the village of Landrung. Total trekking time is about 5-6 hours. Overnight in Landrung. (All meals)
Day 12: Landrung to Pokhara (2,800 ft)
Today is the final trekking day where you will reach the village of Tolka (1790m). The trail gently descends through forest, to the village of Pothana, and then to Dhampus. In the afternoon the trail descends very steeply to Phedi where you will be met by your transport for the short drive 45 minutes to Pokhara. Overnight in Pokhara. (All meals)
Day 13: Pokhara to Kathmandu (4,400 ft)
Explore Pokhara in the morning. Transfer to the airport for an afternoon flight back to Kathmandu. Transfer to Hotel. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast)
Day 14: Kathmandu (4,400 ft)
Today is free for you to rest and enjoy sightseeing on your own. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast)
Day 15: Departure
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your flight home. (Breakfast)
Contact Us for advice on hotels and a quote based on your choice.
- All airport transfers
- 4 nights twin sharing accommodation at a 3-star hotel in Kathmandu
- 1 night twin sharing accommodation at a four star hotel in Pokhara
- 2 full days sightseeing in Kathmandu with vehicle, guide, and entry fees
- Airfare: Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu
- 11-days lodge trek with lodging and food, guide and porter
- Annapurna Conservation Area fee
- Staff insurance while on trek
Rates Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Nepal visa and airport tax
- Personal travel insurance or emergency rescue
- Meals in Kathmandu and Pokhara those not indicated in the program
- Personal equipment including sleeping bag
- Bottled/canned/alcoholic beverages
- Expenses of personal nature
- Tips and gratuities
To Book This Trek
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.