Hopping the Himalayas - 14 days, 13 nights
Kathmandu - Lhasa - Kathmandu - Paro - Thimphu - Punakha - Paro
Explore Nepal, Bhutan, and China—three Himalayan regions all rapidly changing in the 21st century. Walk through palace squares and temples in Kathmandu; join Tibetan pilgrims in their kora around Jokhang monastery in Lhasa; hike to the Tiger's Nest in Paro and stroll the bazaars in Thimphu. On this 14-day tour you will see some of the most amazing mountain scenery in the world from your flights between the cities of Kathmandu, Lhasa, and Paro.
You have the option of beginning and ending the trip either in Bangkok or in Delhi. All hotels, transfers, private guides and vehicles will be arranged from Bangkok to Bangkok or Delhi to Delhi and are include in the price.
Privately-Guided! Whether you are a single person, a couple, or a group, you'll have your own guide and driver for all airport pickups, dropoffs, and daily excursions.
Choose Your Own Dates! This is not a fixed-departure-date tour. Just let us know the dates that work best for you and we will arrange everything.
Customizable! Need more time? Less time? Want to see or do something that isn't included? Just let us know, and we will arrange it for you and let you know the change in costs.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Monkey Temple and Patan Durbar Square, Kathmandu
- Potala Palace and the pilgrims’ circuit around Barkhor square, Lhasa
- Drukgyal Dzong and Tiger's Nest, Paro
Day 1: Arrive Bangkok
Upon arrival in Bangkok you will be transferred to your hotel. Overnight in Bangkok.
Day 2: Bangkok to Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Fly to Kathmandu where you will be welcomed by our Nepal representative and transferred to your hotel. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Dinner)
Day 3: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Your tour guide will meet you at your hotel in the morning to take you on a private tour of Kathmandu. Visit the Bodhnath temple, the largest Buddhist stupa in Nepal, and one of the several monasteries neighboring the stupa. After this Buddhist experience, visit Pashupatinath, the holiest of temples for the Hindus in hopes of witnessing a Hindu cremation along the banks of the Bagmati River. Then head to Patan Durbar Square to take in ancient Nepalese architecture and enjoy lunch at the museum garden. After lunch visit the Patan museum to view ancient Nepalese art. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 4: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
In the morning visit Swayambhunath, the monkey temple, overlooking Kathmandu city then continue onwards to Kathmandu Durbar square to explore a maze of temples and palace complex. After lunch, visit Patan Durbar Square. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 5: Kathmandu to Lhasa ( 11,800 ft.)
Fly to Gongar where you will be welcomed by our Tibetan representative and driven to Lhasa. Enjoy the rest of the day free. Overnight in Lhasa (All meals)
Day 6: Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
In the morning, visit Drepung Monastery and continue on in the afternoon to Sera Monastery and witness monks carrying out a traditional debate. Be part of the evening prayer ceremony at Jokhang temple and merge with pilgrims making the circuit of Barkhor Square. Overnight in Lhasa. (All meals)
Day 7: Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
In the morning visit the Potala Palace and continue on in the afternoon to Norbulinkha palace - the summer location of the Dalai Lama. Enjoy a free evening to relax and explore the city on your own. Overnight in Lhasa. (All meals)
Day 8: Lhasa to Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
In the morning transfer to Gongar for your flight to Kathmandu. Upon arrival in Kathmandu, enjoy a free day to relax and explore the city on your own. Overnight in Kathmandu (Breakfast, Dinner)
Day 9: Kathmandu to Paro (7,300 ft.)
Fly from Kathmandu to Paro where you will be welcomed by our Bhutanese representative and transferred to your hotel. Spend the afternoon touring Drukgyal Dzong built in 1647 by the Great Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, father and unifier of medieval Bhutan. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 10: Paro to Thimphu to Punakha (4,300 ft.)
After breakfast, depart by car to Thimphu. Visit the school of Traditional Medicine and the Thimphu Painting School. After lunch stroll the Thimpu market, and then drive to Punakha. Overnight in Punakha. (All meals)
Day 11: Punakha to Paro (7,300 ft.)
After breakfast visit Punakha Dzong, the current home of the Bhutanese clergy. Take a five hour drive back to Paro, stopping to visit Chimmi Lakhang (temple of fertility) along the way. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 12: Paro (7,780 ft.)
After breakfast, hike to the iconic Tiger's Nest, a stunning monastery that rests on the side of a cliff. In the evening, visit Ta Dzong. Overnight in Paro. (All meals)
Day 13: Paro to Bangkok
Fly from Paro to Bangkok. Overnight in Bangkok. (All meals)
Day 14: Departure
Transfer to airport for final departure. (Breakfast)
Rates Per Person (based on double occupancy) starts from:
$6,885 per person
Single supplement: $1,500
Contact Us for advice on hotels and a quote based on your choice.
- All airport transfers
- All hotel accommodations based on double-occupancy
- Sightseeing and transportation with private English-speaking guide
- All entrance fees
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Transportation in Tibet in land-cruisers
- Bottled water during sightseeing in Kathmandu, Bhutan, and Lhasa
- Bhutan visa
- Bangkok - Kathmandu
- Kathmandu - Lhasa - Kathmandu
- Kathmandu - Paro
- Paro - Bangkok
Rates Do Not Include
- International airfare to and from Bangkok
- International airport departure tax
- Tibet Entry Permit: To be paid to local agent in US dollars cash on arrival in Kathmandu.
- Nepal multiple - entry visa (can be obtained at the Kathmandu airport on arrival)
- India Visa (must be obtained prior to departure)
- Personal/travel insurance or rescue evacuation
- Bottled/canned/alcoholic beverages
- Tips and gratuities, and
- Expenses of personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Bhutan and to/from Lhasa, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.