Highlights of Tibet from Nepal - 9 days/8 nights
Kathmandu - Tsedang - Lhasa - Kathmandu
Fly into Tibet over some of the highest mountains in the world including Mt. Everest. Explore the monastery and ruins of Tsedang, the cradle of the Tibetan civilization. Then, drive to Lhasa and visit the Potala Palace and the surrounding ancient monasteries and palaces. Mingle with locals at the Barkhor Square, the exotic Tibetan quarter of Lhasa, and begin and end your trip with sightseeing in Kathmandu.
Privately-Guided! Whether you are a single person, a couple, or a group, you'll have your own guide and driver for all airport pickups, drop offs, and daily excursions.
Choose Your Own Dates! This is not a fixed-departure-date tour. Just let us know the dates that work best for you and we will arrange everything.
Customizable! Need more time? Less time? Want to see or do something that isn't included? Just let us know, and we will arrange it for you and let you know the change in costs.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Two days of sightseeing in Kathmandu
- An evening prayer ceremony at Jokhang temple in Lhasa
- Sera Monastery and monks' debate
- Potala Palace
Day 1: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Upon arrival at the Kathmandu Airport, you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel for check in. In the evening, enjoy a welcome dinner with your guide for Kathmandu. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Dinner)
Day 2: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
After breakfast, visit Swayambunath (Monkey Temple) and Kathmandu Durbar Square. Then travel just outside Kathmandu to the ancient capital of Patan. Spend your afternoon exploring Patan Durbar Square before returning to Kathmandu. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast)
Day 3: Kathmandu to Tsedang (11,450 ft.)
In the morning, transfer to the airport for your flight to Lhasa. You will be welcomed at the airport by your Tibetan guide and driven 1.5 hours to Tsedang. Overnight in Tsedang. (Breakfast)
Day 4: Tsedang (11,450 ft.)
After breakfast, set out to explore Tsedang beginning first with Samye Monastery, Tibet’s first monastery built in the mid-8th century. In the afternoon, drive through the Yarlung Valley and walk up a ridge to the Yambulakhang, the first castle in Tibet. Overnight in Tsedang. (Breakfast)
Day 5: Tsedang to Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
In the morning, drive 1.5 hours to Lhasa. After settling into your hotel, visit Sera Monastery where you can witness monks practice the art of debate. Take part in the evening prayer ceremony at Jokhang temple, and join pilgrims making the circuit at Barkhor Square before returning to your hotel. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast)
Day 6: Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
Visit the amazing Potala Palace in the morning and continue on after lunch to Norbulinka, the Summer Palace of the Dalai Lama. Spend time exploring the beautiful gardens and then enjoy a free evening to explore the Lhasa market. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast)
Day 7: Lhasa to Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Transfer to the Gongar Airport for your return flight to Kathmandu. Upon arrival you will be met by your guide and transferred to your hotel. The rest of the day is free. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast)
Day 8: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Today enjoy a tour of Kathmandu. Visit Bodhnath Stupa, the largest Buddhist Stupa in Nepal, and Pashupatinath, a temple dedicated to Shiva where you may witness a traditional Hindu cremation on the banks of the Bagmati River. In the afternoon, take a short drive to Bhaktapur Durbar Square before returning to Kathmandu to a farewell dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Dinner)
Day 9: Departure
You'll be met at your hotel and transferred to the airport for your flight home. (Breakfast)
Per Person Rates (based on double occupancy) starts from:
- Hotel accommodation on double-occupancy basis
- All airport/hotel transfers
- Sightseeing and transportation as per program with private, English-speaking guide and driver
- Welcome and farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- Entrance fees to monuments
- Tibet permit
- Airfare from Kathmandu - Lhasa - Kathmandu
Rates Do Not Include
- International airfare
- Airport departure taxes if applicable
- Nepal multiple-entry visa
- Chinese Visa ($198 for US citizens payable upon arrival in Nepal)
- Travel insurance
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Lhasa from Kathmandu, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.