Treasures of Tibet from Nepal - 12 days/11 nights
Kathmandu - Tsedang - Gyantse - Shigatse - Lhasa - Kathmandu
Experience the highlights of Tibet with this itinerary that allows you to experience some of the most impressive yet diverse aspects of Tibet on privately guided tours. This trip does not involve trekking but does involve driving over passes higher than 15,000 ft.
Privately-Guided! Whether you are a single person, a couple, or a group, you'll have your own guide and driver for all airport pickups, drop offs, and daily excursions.
Choose Your Own Dates! This is not a fixed-departure-date tour. Just let us know the dates that work best for you and we will arrange everything.
Customizable! Need more time? Less time? Want to see or do something that isn't included? Just let us know, and we will arrange it for you and let you know the change in costs.
Click here to read what our clients have told us after they return.
- Two days of sightseeing in Kathmandu
- An evening prayer ceremony at Jokhang temple in Lhasa
- A flight over the highest mountains in the world including Mt. Everest
- Beautiful drives through Tibet’s unique landscape and isolated villages
Day 1: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Upon arrival in Kathmandu you will be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. Rest for the evening and enjoy a welcome dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Dinner)
Day 2: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Visit Swayambunath Temple (Monkey Temple) and take in the traditional architecture of Kathmandu’s Durbar Square. After lunch, visit Patan Durbar Square to marvel at hundreds of ancient temples. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Lunch)
Day 3: Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Visit Bodhnath Stupa, the largest stupa in Nepal, and then continue on to Pashupatinath, a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, where you will witness Hindu cremations ceremonies on the banks of the Bagmati River. Drive to Bhaktapur Durbar Square, the city of devotees. In the evening, enjoy a home cooked Nepali dinner. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Dinner)
Day 4: Kathmandu to Lhasa to Tsedang (11,450 ft.)
Transfer to the airport for a flight to Lhasa and be met at the Lhasa airport by our representative. Take a 1.5 hour drive into Tsedang. Overnight in Tsedang. (Breakfast)
Day 5: Tsedang (11,450 ft.)
Spend a day visiting the highlights of Tsedang. Begin at the Samye Monastery – Tibet’s first monastery built in the mid-8th century. Drive through the Yarlung Valley and walk up a ridge to the Yambulakhang – the first palace/castle in Tibet. Overnight in Tsedang. (Breakfast)
Day 6: Tsedang to Gyantse (12,950 ft.)
Take an 8-9 hour drive to Gyantse from Tsedang over several high passes. Overnight in Gyantse. (Breakfast)
Day 7: Gyantse to Shigatse (12,800 ft.)
Visit Kumbum, the largest stupa in Tibet. After visiting Pelko Chode, drive 2 hours to Shigatse. After lunch, visit Tashilunpo monastery, the traditional seat of the Panchen lama. Overnight in Shigatse. (Breakfast)
Day 8: Shigatse to Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
Drive to about 3 hours to Lhasa. After settling into your hotel, take part in the evening prayer ceremony at Jokhang temple and join pilgrims making the circuit at Barkhor Square. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast)
Day 9: Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
Visit the amazing Potala Palace. In the afternoon, visit Sera Monastery to witness monks perform the traditional art of debate. Overnight in Lhasa (Breakfast)
Day 10: Lhasa (11,800 ft.)
Visit Drepung Monastery in the morning. In the afternoon, visit the beautiful gardens of Norbulinka, the Summer Palace of the Dalai Lama. You’re evening is free to roam the Lhasa market. Overnight in Lhasa. (Breakfast)
Day 11: Lhasa to Kathmandu (4,400 ft.)
Transfer to the Gongar Airport for your return flight to Kathmandu. Transfer to your hotel. The rest of the day is free for your own activities. Farewell dinner in the evening. Overnight in Kathmandu. (Breakfast, Dinner)
Day 12: Departure
Transfer to the airport for your flight home. (Breakfast)
Per Person Rates (based on double occupancy and four-star hotel in Kathmandu)
Contact Us for current rates.
- All airport transfers
- Double-occupancy accommodation at Hotel Shangri-La (4 star, deluxe rooms)
- Sightseeing and transportation as per program with English-speaking guide
- Welcome and farewell dinner
- Airfare: Kathmandu-Gongar-Kathmandu
- Double-occupancy accommodations in Tibet on bed and breakfast basis
- Tibet visa
- All transfers as per itinerary in land-cruisers
- Sightseeing as per itinerary with English-speaking Tibetan guide
- Entrance fees
Rates Do Not Include
- International airfare to and from Kathmandu
- Airport tax
- Nepal multiple-entry visa
- Personal/travel insurance or rescue evacuation
- Bottled/canned/alcoholic beverages
- Tips and gratuities
- Expenses of a personal nature
To Book This Tour
Please call us toll free at 1-877-362-2793 and let us know that you would like to book this tour. Then follow these instructions:
- Download, print, and fill out the Reservation Form for each person.
- Fax the form to us at 206-529-4803, or mail it to:
Red Lantern Journeys
1000 N. Northlake Way, Suite H
Seattle, WA 98103
- Pay a non-refundable $500 per person deposit and we will initiate your reservations. Please note that for flights to/from Lhasa from Kathmandu, airfare is due at the time of booking in addition to the deposit.
- Final payment is due 75 days prior to departure.
If your reservation is made less than 75 days prior to departure, the non-refundable deposit will allow us to initiate reservations. Full payment will be due immediately upon confirmation of all hotels and transportation services. If the services quoted cannot be confirmed, alternate accommodation or transportation will be arranged and the price will be adjusted accordingly.
Payments can be made by personal check, bank wire transfer, or credit card. Upon receipt of your deposit, we will initiate your reservations and send you a statement showing your payment. Approximately 4 weeks prior to your departure, we will send you a final confirmation package containing your itinerary and detailed information on the logistics of your trip.
Forms to Download (pdf file)
Reservation Form with Complete Terms and Conditions
- Cancel more than 60 days prior to departure - forfeit your deposit.
- Cancel between 30 and 60 days prior to departure - forfeit 50% of the tour cost.
- Cancel less than 30 days prior to departure - NO REFUND of tour cost.
- Cancellations must be made in writing and sent via mail, fax, or email to Red Lantern Journeys.
- Refunds will be processed within 30 days of receipt of your written request.
- No refunds are available for unused services or tours during your trip.