Safety and Health
Asia is an incredibly rich, diverse, and interesting expanse of countries, governments, religions, people, and languages. It's important to research your trip from more than the standpoint of what you'll see. Try some of these links for information about safety and health.
Travel insurance is highly recommended to protect you from unanticipated events during your trip such as transportation delays, lost or stolen luggage, terrorism, natural disasters, medical emergencies, etc. We are authorized agents of Travelex Insurance and would be happy to provide you with a quote. Please be sure to ask your Red Lantern Journeys destination specialist about your insurance options and important considerations, but also be sure to visit the Travelex web site for more information.
My Travel Wallet
Need local currency before your trip? Get it online with My Travel Wallet by Travelex. My Travel Wallet offers competitive foreign exchange rates and no commission fees on currency or travelers checks. Overnight and 2-day delivery are available and 2-day shipping on orders over $500 is FREE. Orders can be placed online 24 hours a day and payment can be made via debit or credit cards. Click here to order.
Most countries in Asia require tourists to have a valid visa to enter the country, but not all. Please use the information below and consult with your Red Lantern Journeys destination specialist to help you decide what's best for your situation.
Visa and Passport Services
We partner with VisaHQ to provide you with fast, reliable, and trackable visa and passport services that you can initiate right on our web site. It's a simple, 3-step process: apply online, mail supporting documents, and receive your passport or visa.
US Citizens: Apply for Visas - To select from a list of countries.
Canadian Citizens: Apply for Visas - To select from a list of countries.
Passport Services - To apply for a new passport, renew a passport, replace a lost passport, or add passport pages.
IMPORTANT: Most countries, regardless of whether or not they require a visa, do require that your passport be valid for a minimum of 6 months beyond the date that you will be leaving the country. Please check your passport expiration dates and renew your passport if necessary!
Visa Requirements by Country:
- Thailand: Visas are not required if you are arriving by air and staying less than 30 days, or 15 days if you are arriving by land. For stays longer than that, apply here: Thailand Visa-by-Mail Service
- Vietnam: Visas are required for US and Canadian citizens. Red Lantern Journeys can arrange for a visa-on-arrival with your tour, or you can apply for one in advance here: Vietnam Visa-by-Mail Service
- Cambodia: Visas are required for tourists in Cambodia, but you can get them on arrival for a stay of up to 30 days. For US and Canadian citizens, you'll need US$20 cash and 2 passport photos; However, if you would like to get one in advance, you have two options. Follow these links to Apply by Mail or Apply Online.
- Laos: Visas are required for tourists in Laos, but you can get them on arrival for a stay of up to 30 days. You'll need US$35 cash ($42 for Canadians) and 2 passport-size photos. If you are arriving via remote land borders, you may need to get your visa in advance and can apply here: Laos: Apply by Mail
- Myanmar: Everyone needs a visa to enter Myanmar. You can either obtain one through Myanmar embassies overseas, or via a pre-approved visa on arrival, which is available through Red Lantern Journeys and takes about 2 weeks to process. Follow this link to get your visa in advance from the embassy: Apply by mail
- Bhutan: Tourist visas are required, but can only be obtained from the tour operator that you book your trip with, like Red Lantern Journeys. Actually, we arrange for the visa approval letter, which allows you to board the Druk Air flight into the country, then your passport is stamped with the visa on arrival in Paro.
- Nepal: Visas are required for tourists and trekkers, but can be obtained on arrival at the airport in Kathmandu. You'll need a passport-size photo and US$25 for a stay up to 15 days, US$40 for a stay up to 30 days, and US$100 for a stay up to 90 days. If you'd like to apply for your visa in advance, follow this link: Nepal Visa by Mail.
- Mongolia: In an unusual twist, Canadian citizens are required to have a visa to visit Mongolia, but US citizens are not for a stay of up to 30 days. Canadian citizens can apply for their visa here: Mongolia Visa by Mail.